Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beautiful Freaks Tour 2012

April 29, 2012 I had the privilege of attending the Beautiful Freaks Tour at Newport Music Hall in the wonderful city and state of Columbus, Ohio.

Electric Touch
Electric Touch of Austin, Texas opened up the show setting the bar pretty high. Before this night I have never heard of them and from the looks of the crowd, hardly anyone else there knew of them either but lucky for Electric Touch, everyone definitely LOVED them. They possessed great energy onstage and I was definitely a fan of Shawn Lawlor’s vocals however, though they were amazing, I can’t help but feel as if they were out of place. Personally I believe they would go a lot farther touring with bands such as The Strokes, The Kooks, Artic Monkeys, The Killers, bands in that nature; great set nonetheless.
Action Item
Next in the lineup was New Jersey natives, Action Item. The boys got the crowd pumped and screaming their heads off as they opened with new single, Marching Band. Musically speaking, the guys were wonderful especially when the boys brought out a bass drum and two snares to create their own “mini drum line” to end the song.  Action Item played a number of great songs, my favorite being Without You, but another great song was the cover the boys ended with; Glad You Came by British band The Wanted. It definitely pumped up the crowd’s adrenaline and ended their set on a great note.
Hot Chelle Rae
Headlining band, Hot Chelle Rae of Nashville, Tennessee was last to take the stage and they definitely took the stage by storm. The boys opened the show with Beautiful Freaks as they slowly appeared onstage one by one, causing the crowd to go insane. I believe every single song on the Whatever album was performed including new singles Tonight, Tonight, Honestly and I Like It Like That. Speaking of ILILT, two fans got the privilege of going onstage and participating in rapping the part originally rapped by the New Boys; it was definitely fun to watch. Hot Chelle Rae also performed their first single from album Lovesick Electric, I Like to Dance as well as Bleed, both amazing songs and I absolutely LOVED the way Ryan Follese, lead vocals, reached the high notes during I Like to Dance. Another fun song that was performed acoustically was Emo, which was said to have been written before they were officially a band. The boys also performed Weezer’s I Want You To and Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, which I must add has been my favorite cover of that song since the first time I saw them perform it back in mid 2011. Hot Chelle Rae then ended with “round 2” of Tonight, Tonight. While fans were excited that they were playing another song, I am sure many of us were puzzled to see that they were playing this song again when there are so many great songs from album one to perform. One and a half minutes into the song we saw why, instead of singing “Just don’t stop, let’s keep the pumpin’…” Ryan Follese began to rap the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song; it was such a fun way to end the night.
The energy the crowd possessed was contagious and the way they sang their hearts out knowing there was a chance they would lose their voice the next day was wonderful.  It was a remarkable show and I don’t know if things could have been more perfect.
Make sure you check out hotchellerae.com to see if they’ll be coming to a town near you soon, trust me they are definitely worth your time!


*note: this is not my own video and not from the show I went to. This is the video with best quality from the same tour from Philadelphia on Youtube.

xoxo, 
alicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment